Helping You Move Forward After An Accident Or Arrest

Providing College Student Criminal Defense Representation

If you are a student or the parent of a student who has been arrested and is facing criminal charges, you need an experienced lawyer.

This is a very serious situation that could have a lasting negative effect on your future because employers, schools and banks routinely conduct background checks on applicants.

Even if this is a first offense, penalties are not limited to incarceration and fines imposed by the state. Many schools take action against students who break the law by suspending them. This could affect the immigration status of students who are visiting from abroad and/or result in a loss of financial aid or scholarship.

Duffee Law Firm, LLC, represents many University of West Georgia students charged with underage drinking, drug possession, assault and other criminal offenses. Contact us for a free consultation to discuss your options and determine whether dismissal or reduction of charges is possible.

Careful Handling Of Underage Drinking Charges

The University of West Georgia in Carrollton has its own police department on campus and it is ramping up efforts to find, arrest and punish underage students who are buying, drinking or are in possession of alcohol. Students working as bartenders or servers are also liable if they serve or sell alcohol to anyone under the age of 21. An MUI can be considered to be just as serious as a DUI, in certain situations.

Contesting Marijuana Possession — Why Size Matters

Criminal charges for using, buying, selling or possessing drugs can range from misdemeanors to felonies. Buying, using, selling or possessing more than an ounce of marijuana is a felony offense. The same charge involving less than an ounce of marijuana is considered a misdemeanor offense, which is a lesser charge, but still serious because it could result in thousands of dollars in penalties and incarceration.

Students who break the law can be penalized by the state as well as their school. Contact Duffee Law Firm, LLC, in Carrollton, by calling 770-884-6402 as soon as possible to discuss your case with an attorney so you can make an informed decision about important next steps.